If you are a high school senior and are interested in applying for a scholarship, please read the guidelines below, then click on the link at the bottom of this page to download a Scholarship Application.
The Walter Engel Young Performers Scholarship was established to recognize talented young musicians who are northern New Jersey high school seniors and who have shared their musical gifts through outreach to their communities. Having suffered a deilitating stroke as a young man, Walter Engel knew the important role young people can play in bringing live music to people who might not otherwise get to hear it. Examples of the forms that musical outreach might take are: performing at hospitals, hospices, and nursing homes; performing for religious services; volunteering as a tutor or mentor to other students; playing for civic events; performing for charitable fund-raising events.
3. Click on the link at the bottom of the page to download the 2017 scholarship application. Print it out, fill it in, and submit it with the rest of the items listed below to the address on the application. Scholarship winners are required to perform at the festival.
4. Enclose a short essay telling about the ways in which you have volunteered to share your musical gifts with your community, the impact such activities have had on you, and how you think they may have affected those to whom you reached out.
5. Submit a short audition CD or DVD (up to 10 minutes in length) demonstrating your performing ability. You may submit a longer CD or DVD, but please indicate which portion of it you would like the FYP scholarship committee to consider.
6. Enclose either a letter of recommendation from your private music teacher or a letter of character reference.
5. Enclose a $20.00 non-refundable performance application processing fee. Please make checks or money orders payable to: Unitarian Society of Ridgewood - FYP
6. Scholarship applications are due by February 8, 2017.
7. Please mail the application and all related materials to -
Walter Engel Festival of Young Performers Scholarships P.O. Box 1471 Ridgewood, NJ 07450
Scholarship winners will be notified in early March, 2017, and will be required to perform a memorized selection at one of the festival concerts, which are scheduled for April 1st and 2nd, 2017.
Please contact us with any questions you might have regarding the Walter Engel Young Performers Scholarships.
Click here to download the scholarship application.